Pop Testing is the COVID-19 testing program for USC faculty, staff, students and approved campus residents and contractors.
Log in using your USC NetID and password to make appointments.
- Schedule your test through the secure health records portal, MySHR.
- For users new to the portal, please see the Quick Guide for MySHR.
Nasal swab (anterior nasal swab) collection is available—appointments must be scheduled, with on-time arrival for your scheduled time.
Saliva collection appointments are also available—appointments should be scheduled to generate the scannable QR code for faster processing. Drop-offs may be made any time on the day of your appointment, regardless of your scheduled time.
- See the Pop Testing 3.0 Quick Guide (saliva testing).
- See the Chinese (中文) edition of the Pop Testing instructions (saliva testing)
Saliva tests typically returns in 24 hours; Keck Medicine of USC Clinical Laboratories is providing the laboratory services for the saliva testing program. Nasal swab testing is through external labs services supervised through Keck Clinical Labs. Both are PCR (polymerase chain reaction) tests.
Saliva testing kits are available to “take home”
Pick up convenient home kits to provide saliva samples in the privacy of your home (one kit per person max).
- Kits can be picked up and dropped off at all of the testing locations during regular business hours (HSC and UPC locations: Jefferson Lot, Pardee Marks, Pappas Quad, and Eric Cohen Health Center, no appointment is necessary for pick up.)
- Appointments to drop off kits—within 12 hours of sample collection—may be made in MySHR. You may drop off at any time on the day of your appointment.
- You may ONLY produce your saliva sample at a designated testing area or your private residence/car – not on campus.
- See our MySHR Troubleshooting Guide.
Preparing for saliva sample collection:
- Please wait at least 30 minutes after brushing your teeth, eating, drinking (including water) or smoking/vaping before collecting a saliva sample.
- Liquid saliva needed. Kit includes a polyester straw, a tube and a funnel. Please avoid coughing up mucus or phlegm into the container.
- Please chew on the polyester swab to help generate saliva.
- Place the funnel into the tube to collect your sample.
Who Should Test, and How Frequently
As of 8/15/21—all USC students (vaccinated and unvaccinated) are required to test weekly as Los Angeles is experiencing a surge of positive cases, primarily of the Delta variant of COVID-19. USC Student Health will continue to closely monitor case positivity rates and other public health metrics and regularly update safety modifications.
Unvaccinated undergraduate students who have an approved medical or religious exemption are required to test twice a week.
Unvaccinated graduate and professional students, and faculty and staff who have an approved medical or religious exemption are required to test once a week.
Q and A for unvaccinated individuals required to participate in COVID testing:
Q: Should I test even if I don’t come to campus every day, and only come to campus once or twice a week?
Q: Should I test if I’ve already been positive for COVID-19?
A: No, not for 90 days since your positive test. If you have tested with USC Student Health, you will automatically be exempted from a regular testing requirement for this period of time. If you have tested outside of USC Student Health, upload your results in MySHR (https://usc.edu/myshr)
Q: Will my Trojan Check be affected if I do not keep up with the testing requirements?
Please note: Trojan Check will be “turned off ” for individuals who do not meet vaccination completion or testing completion requirements. Non-compliance with the testing requirements will deactivate Trojan Check, removing access to the UPC campus, and removing access to academic buildings at the Health Sciences Campus (see HSC building list). Scheduling a same-day test or uploading test results will temporarily restore Trojan Check access.
[Have additional questions? See the FAQ for additional answers.]
Call 213-740-6291, or email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or for additional information.
Reminder: All testing sites are closed on Sundays and USC Observed Holidays.
HSC CAMPUS: Pappas Quad tents or Eric Cohen (see map)
- Monday – Friday from 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM (Pappas Quad*)
- Saturday from 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
*Wed-Sat, drop off services are at Eric Cohen, when Pappas Quad is closed.
Nasal Swab Hours (Pappas Quad only):
- Monday – Thursday from 8:30 AM – 2:00 PM*
- Friday from 9:30 AM – 1:00 PM*
*Nasal swab tests are available on-site only.
UPC CAMPUS: Jefferson Lot (see map) [adjacent to Engemann Building Plaza]:
- Monday – Thursday from 7:00 AM – 6:30 PM* (Nasal Swab tests close at 3 PM)
- Friday from 9:30 AM – 4:30 PM* (Nasal Swab tests close at 2 PM)
- Saturday from 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM*
*Nasal swab tests are available on-site only.
UPC CAMPUS: Pardee Marks (see map)
- Monday – Thursday from 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM*
- Friday from 9:30 AM – 4:30 PM*
*Nasal swab tests are available on-site only, appointments close at 3 PM.
UPC CAMPUS: USC Bookstore (see map) [*Saliva Drop off only]
- Monday – Thursday from 7:30 AM – 11:30 AM*
- Friday from 9:30 AM – 11:30 AM*
NOTE: The USC COVID-19 Pop Testing program is for eligible USC students, faculty, staff, approved contractors, and approved campus residents only. Results are associated with your medical record; positive case information is required to be reported to the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health. Do not use this program to let others screen/test using your identity as this constitutes identity fraud, delays contact tracing, and may lead to university disciplinary action and civil/criminal charges.