PRIMARY SERIES / FDA
The following FDA-approved vaccines are accepted for meeting COVID-19 vaccine requirements:
- Pfizer/BioNTech (Comirnaty®) — 2 doses; current CDC recommendation on timeframe between doses is 3-8* weeks for ages 12 and older.
- Moderna (Spikevax) — 2 doses; current CDC recommendation on timeframe between doses is 4-8* weeks for ages 18 and older.
- Johnson & Johnson/Janssen — single dose
*The 8-week interval may be optimal in males age 12-39. The shorter intervals are recommended for individuals who are immunocompromised, seniors, and those who need rapid protection due to increased concern about community transmission or at high risk of severe disease.
CDC clinical guidance, update as on 2/22/22.
PRIMARY SERIES / WHO EUL
The following WHO-approved (emergency use listing, EUL) vaccines are accepted for meeting COVID-19 vaccine requirements:
- AstraZeneca** (Vaxzevria)
- Nuvaxovid™** (Novavax)
- Sinovac** (CoronaVac)
**If you have received a first dose of any of these EUL listed vaccines, you may follow up with a second dose of Pfizer/BioNTech or Moderna vaccine. This will complete your primary series vaccination for COVID-19.
As on December, 2021, all USC students, faculty and staff are required to receive a booster dose of a COVID-19 vaccine to complete the vaccine requirements.
For recipients of the FDA-approved vaccines, Pfizer is recommended; Johnson and Johnson is also permitted for those who received a Johnson and Johnson primary series.
- 5 months after the primary series of Pfizer
- 5 months after the primary series of Moderna
- 2 months after the single dose of Johnson and Johnson
For recipients of the EUL-approved vaccines, Pfizer is required.
- 5 months after the primary series of an EUL vaccine. Please see additional information chart for EUL vaccines.
If you are an international student who received a complete EUL series and also received a Pfizer dose upon arrival to the U.S., you are considered fully vaccinated and boosted.