The Student Health Fee is the operational funding for all campus health programs, both clinical operations (medical care, mental health services, immunizations, sexual assault survivor support, prevention education, maintaining medical records, and 24/7 phone coverage—213-740-9355 (WELL)—to connect to these services) and programs related to public health: Covid-19 screening, testing, public health notification and contact tracing; consent and healthy relationships programs; substance use prevention and education; mental health outreaches during crisis, and more.
Patients are encouraged to be proactive users of prevention and primary care services; and to contact Student Health for urgent medical or confidential mental health services. Parents, faculty, and campus partners are encouraged to engage with USC Student Health, email@example.com, as a resource to support optimal student health and well-being in their respective home and teaching environments.
For fall/spring semesters, the fee is required for all students enrolled in 6 units or more, all international students, and all students in degree programs at the Health Sciences Campus. For summer programs, the fee is applied to all students enrolled in summer courses.
All matriculated non-registered students are eligible to opt-in to pay the summer Student Health Fee. This includes:
- Continuing students
- May 2022 graduating students
- Fall 2022 admitted students
Students who would like to continue accessing services (primary care visits, illness/injury visits, immunizations, mental health visits, group therapy, workshops) through USC Student Health over the summer may opt-in for the summer health fee for either one or both summer session periods.
Summer Health Fee (Summer 2022)
|Term||Start Date||End Date||Cost|
|Full Summer||5/16/2022||8/14/2022||$288 *|
|Summer Session 1||5/16/2022||7/03/2022||$168 *|
|Summer Session 2||7/04/2022||8/14/2022||$168|
- To Opt-in for the Summer Health Fee, please submit this form for summer health services.
There are some additional costs described below. If you have any questions regarding cost and services, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fall 2022/Spring 2023 Student Health Fee
$527 per semester.
All prices listed are subject to change without notice. Updated May, 2022.
Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP, provided through Aetna): Coverage and Costs
Insurance coverage ensures that students have access to additional care outside of USC Student Health primary care services, such as longer term mental health care, visits to urgent care centers after hours, specialist visits, surgery/hospitalization coverage, as well as prescription coverage and vision care.
Premium Rates for 2022-2023:
FOR ALL ON-CAMPUS DEGREE PROGRAMS (All undergraduate programs, graduate degree programs that meet in person)
- Fall 2022 rate: $805; (August 15, 2022 – January 8, 2023)
- Spring 2023 rate: $1,468 (January 9 – August 14, 2023)
FOR ONLINE DEGREE PROGRAMS (All programs in satellite locations, graduate degree programs that are conducted completely through online instruction)
- Fall 2022 rate: $1,488 (August 15, 2022 – January 8, 2023)
- Spring 2023 rate: $2,832 (January 9 – August 14, 2023)
Optional Student Dental Plan
Annual Coverage: $136 (August 15, 2022 – August 14, 2023)
Spring Dates (New admits): $85 (January 9, 2023- August 14, 2023)
International travel programs insurance rates are individually quoted by the Insurance Office.
Dental plan (Delta Dental PPO) is available separately, contact the Insurance Office through email@example.com.
Vision care is included in the SHIP/Aetna plan (EyeMed VisionCare).
Spring charges for SHIP/Aetna are typically higher than fall, as the coverage period is longer (Fall is August – January, Spring is January through August).
Students who are on an approved leave of absence may continue to participate in the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP), but do not have access to services in USC Student Health through participation in the Student Health Fee (SHF). Rates for SHIP for students on LOA will shift to similar costs for ONLINE degree program students, as access to primary health care is not automatically included for these populations.
Deadline for Insurance Coverage Decision:
If you are a full-time/international/health professions student, you are automatically enrolled in the SHIP/Aetna Plan. The charges will appear on your semesterly bill. If you opt to bring a different plan to campus, you must apply for a waiver by the dates listed below.
- Fall 2022 Semester: September 9, 2022
- Spring 2023 Semester: January 27, 2023
What’s Covered Through the USC SHIP/Aetna Plan?
SHIP/Aetna 3 Tiers of coverage:
- Tier 1, USC Designated Preferred Care Providers – 90% Coverage
- Keck Medicine of USC
- Children’s Hospital Los Angeles
- USC Verdugo Hills Hospital
- Good Samaritan Hospital
- USC/Norris Comprehensive Center and Hospital
- Las Encinas (Behavioral Health)
- BHC Alhambra (Behavioral Health)
- Glendale Adventist (Behavioral Health)
- The Haven @ College (Behavioral Health)
- Tier 2, Aetna Preferred Care Providers – 80% Coverage,
- Tier 3 – Out of Network Providers, 50% Coverage
- $20 copay for medical visits (in-person and telehealth) with Tier 1 and Tier 2 providers;
- $10 copay for mental and behavioral health visits (in-person and telehealth) with Tier 1 and Tier 2 providers;
- $50 co-pay for all walk in clinic visits/urgent care visits to insurance-based urgent care centers.
Appointment Policy and Cost Structure
Medical Services Appointments
- Visits in USC Student Health are covered by Student Health Fee, insurance and co-pays do not apply. Includes appointments for primary care (physicals, illness/injury, reproductive/sexual health) and specialist visits (allergy, dermatology, nutrition, orthopedics, travel-related immunization consultation). Note: specialist visits require a referral from a USC Student Health provider.
- If a student arrives 10 or more minutes late to an appointment, the appointment is canceled. The student will need to reschedule their appointment at usc.edu/myshr.
Counseling Services Appointments
- Individual, Group Counseling and Crisis Intervention Sessions: provided through the Student Health Fee.
- Psychiatry: provided through the Student Health Fee.
- Workshops, “Let’s Talk,” and other outreaches provided through the Student Health Fee.
- Late appointment cancellations of less than 24 hours notice or no shows: $20.
- Allergy Consultation: Covered by Student Health Fee, referral by doctor for new patients
- Allergy – Patch Testing: $169, by referral or doctor order
- Allergy – Skin Testing: $100, by referral or doctor order
- Allergy Desensitization – 1 Injection: $8, by referral or doctor order
- Allergy Desensitization – 2 Injections: $12, by referral or doctor order
- Allergy Desensitization – 3+ Injections: $18, by referral or doctor order
Health Information Management
- Photocopying of medical records: 5 pages or less: no charge, 6 pages or more: $10. Please fill out the Authorization for Medical Release form.
- Retrieval From Storage: $10
A note about Insurance and Immunizations: If you have purchased the USC Student Health Insurance Plan, all immunizations are covered 100% per your plan benefits, with the exception of typhoid, yellow fever and rabies, which are covered at 90% per your plan benefits, with no deductible required. The prices for immunizations below are for students who are not covered by the USC Student Health Insurance Plan.
- Gardasil 9: $278.57 per injection.
- Hepatitis A Adult: $49.74 per injection (Series of 2)
- Hepatitis A Pediatric: $34.13 per injection (Series of 2)
- Hepatitis B Adult: $134.48 per injection (Series of 2)
- Hepatitis B Pediatric: $19.57 per injection (Series of 3)
- Influenza (Flu): $20
- Measles/Mumps/Rubella (MMR): $94.19. Part of New Student Health Requirements
- Menactra (ACYW): $128.06
- Bexcero (MenB): $203.66 per injection. Series of 2.
- Pneumococcal (PPSV): $128.57
- Tetanus/Diptheria/Pertussis (Tdap): $43.21
- Td: $32.10
- Polio: $28.50
- Twinrix: $104.46 per injection . Hepatitis A & B combined. Series of 3.
- Typhoid: $105.10
- Varicella (Chicken Pox): $162.47
- Yellow Fever: $156.24
- Late fee for missed immunization deadline each semester: $25*
*Students will be assessed a $25 late fee if they submit proof of immunizations after the deadline either in the Fall or Spring semester. New Students are required to submit proof of Immunizations by a set deadline each semester. For more information, please visit the New Student Information page.
- Biopsy- Skin (1 specimen): $28.89
- Chlamydia / GC Panel: $30.62
- Comprehensive Metabolic Panel: $6.31
- Hepatitis B AB: $4.99
- HIV Testing: approx. $9.40
- Measles/Rubeola Titer (Blood Test): $6.25
- Mumps Titer (Blood Test): $15.84
- Rubella Titer (Blood Test): $3.35
- T-Spot (Blood Test): $44.42
- Syphilis: $2.97
- Varicella Titer (Blood Test): $4.20
- Reference Lab Fee (lab handling fee):$12
The following laboratory services are covered by your Student Health Fee:
- Basic Metabolic Panel
- Complete Blood Count (CBC)
- Pregnancy Test
- Rapid Strep
Long-Acting Reversible Contraceptive (LARC) Devices
If enrolled in the Aetna Student Health Plan, cost will be ledger billed, if not enrolled in the Aetna Student Health Plan, students will be referred to external services.
- Kyleena: $1,099.21
- Mirena: $1,099.21
- Nexplanon: $1,079.72
- Paraguard: $953.40
- Skyla: $915.28
- Ankle Support – Aircast: $28.46
- Arm Sling: $2.84, only applies to large and extra large sizes
- Boot – Aircast: $62.05 and under, applies to all sizes
- Crutches: $11.36
- Knee Immobilizer 22″: $25.70
- Fiberglass Long Leg Splint: $57.09
- Colles Padded Metal Splint: $4.60, applies to all sizes
- Comfort Form Wrist/Thumb: $16.91
- CTS Wrist Support: $6.40
- Azithromycin (500mg pk) $13.21, Part of Antibiotic Drug Family.
- Benadryl (injectable) $15, Part of Antihistamine Drug Family.
- Depro Provera $104.57, Part of Contraception Drug Family.
- Ketorolac (injectable) $12, Part of Pain Relief Drug Family.
- Ella $59.44, Part of Emergency Contraception Drug Family.
- Rocephin (injectable) $25, Part of Antibiotic Drug Family.
- Vitamin B-12 (Inject) $10
- Digital X-rays: covered by Student Health Fee
- CD Copies: $10
- Retrieval from Storage: $25
Additional Care Services
- Physical Therapy: $15 co-pay. Services billable to insurance. Requires USC Student Health doctor referral.