The Student Health Fee is the operational funding for all campus health programs, both clinical operations (medical care, mental health services, immunizations, sexual assault survivor support, prevention education, maintaining medical records, and 24/7 phone coverage—213-740-9355 (WELL)—to connect to these services) and programs related to public health: Covid-19 screening, testing, public health notification and contact tracing; consent and healthy relationships programs; substance use prevention and education; mental health outreaches during crisis, and more.
Patients are encouraged to be proactive users of prevention and primary care services; and to contact Student Health for urgent medical or confidential mental health services. Parents, faculty, and campus partners are encouraged to engage with USC Student Health, email@example.com, as a resource to support optimal student health and well-being in their respective home and teaching environments.
For fall/spring semesters, the fee is required for all students enrolled in 6 units or more, all international students, and all students in degree programs at the Health Sciences Campus. For summer programs, the fee is applied to all students enrolled in summer courses. Online degree students may opt-in for services covered through the fee during any semester.
Summer 2020 Health Fees:
- Sessions I or II – $90
- Sessions I and II -$180
Student Health Fee for 2020-2021 academic year:
- Fall 2020 – See announcement for Fall 2020
- Spring 2021 – $406
There are some additional costs described below. If you have any questions regarding cost and services, please contact Cashier Services. All prices listed are subject to change without notice. Updated April, 2020.
- Fall 2020: deadline to purchase or waive Student Health Insurance through Aetna is Friday, September 11, 2020.
Student Health Insurance Plan (Aetna): Coverage and Costs
Premium Rates for Fall 2020 (See update on billing explanation):
FOR ALL ON-CAMPUS* DEGREE PROGRAMS (All undergraduate programs, some graduate degree programs)
- Continuing students rate: $753; (August 19 – January 10)
- New enrollees, including early start coverage: 753 + $29 = $782; (August 10- January 10)
* This includes all students taking remote classes due to COVID-19 disruptions.
FOR ONLINE DEGREE PROGRAMS (All programs in satellite locations, some graduate degree programs)
- Continuing students rate: $1,384; (August 19 – January 10)
- New enrollees, including early start coverage: $1384 + $55 = $1,439; (August 10- January 10)
Premium Rates for Spring/Summer 2021: (Jan. 11 – Aug. 14, 2021)
- Students in traditional degree programs on either the UPC or HSC campus: $1,363
- Online degree program students (or enrolled in satellite locations): $2,625
Please note: Overseas program insurance rates are individually quoted by the Insurance Office.
Dental plan rate is $136 for annual coverage. (Spring 2021 admits, dental for spring/summer is $85).
Medical Services Appointments
- Visits are covered by Student Health Fee. Includes appointments for primary care (physicals, illness/injury, reproductive/sexual health) and specialist visits (allergy, dermatology, nutrition, orthopedics, travel-related immunization consultation). Note: specialist visits require a referral from a USC Student Health provider.
- If a student arrives 10 or more minutes late to an appointment, the appointment is cancelled. The student would need to reschedule their appointment at usc.edu/myshr.
Counseling Services Appointments
- Individual, Group Counseling and Crisis Intervention Sessions: provided through the Student Health Fee.
- Psychiatry: provided through the Student Health Fee.
- Late appointment cancellations of less than 24 hours notice or no shows: $20.
- Allergy Consultation: Covered by Student Health Fee, referral by doctor for new patients
- Allergy – Patch Testing: $169, by referral or doctor order
- Allergy – Skin Testing: $100, by referral or doctor order
- Allergy Desensitization – 1 Injection: $8, by referral or doctor order
- Allergy Desensitization – 2 Injections: $12, by referral or doctor order
- Allergy Desensitization – 3+ Injections: $18, by referral or doctor order
Health Information Management
- Photocopying of medical records: 5 pages or less: no charge, 6 pages or more: $10. Please fill out the Authorization for Medical Release form.
- Retrieval From Storage: $10
Please note the following regarding the grant covering HIV testing for USC students at USC Student Health:
- For patients enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Program (SHIP) provided by Aetna, the initial preventative HIV -1/2 Antigen and Antibody (4th generation) test will be ledger billed to Aetna; non-preventative and subsequent tests will be billed to USG.
- For patients with other insurance coverage, costs will be billed to USG for the HIV-1/2 Antigen and Antibody (4th generation) test, venipuncture will not apply. Patients are responsible for the costs of all other STI tests (as well as the venipuncture fee if applicable) ordered during the visit.
A note about Insurance and Immunizations: If you have purchased the USC Student Health Insurance Plan, all immunizations are covered 100% per your plan benefits, with the exception of Typhoid, Yellow Fever and Rabies, which are covered at 90% per your plan benefits, with no deductible required. The prices for immunizations below are for students who are not covered by the USC Student Health Insurance Plan.
- Gardasil 9: $265.34 per injection.
- Hepatitis A: $50.58 per injection. Series of 2.
- Hepatitis B: $54.78 per injection. Series of 3.
- Influenza (Flu): $20
- Measles/Mumps/Rubella (MMR): $89.83. Part of New Student Health Requirements
- Menactra (ACYW): $120.77
- Bexcero (MenB): $181.38 per injection. Series of 2.
- Pneumococcal (PPSV): $122.45
- Tetanus/Diptheria/Pertussis (Tdap): $40.90
- Td: $27.41
- Polio: $26.93
- Twinrix: $96.72 per injection . Hepatitis A & B combined. Series of 3.
- Typhoid: $96.53
- Varicella (Chicken Pox): $154.78
- Yellow Fever: $142.07
- Late fee for missed immunization deadline each semester: $25*
*Students will be assessed a $25 late fee if they submit proof of immunizations after the deadline either in the Fall or Spring semester. New Students are required to submit proof of Immunizations by a set deadline each semester. For more information, please visit the New Student Information page.
- Biopsy- Skin (1 specimen): $28.89
- Chlamydia / GC Panel: $30.62
- Comprehensive Metabolic Panel: $6.31
- Hepatitis B AB: $7.76
- HIV Testing: approx. $9.40
- Measles/Rubeola Titer (Blood Test): $14.25
- Mumps Titer (Blood Test): $15.84
- Rubella Titer (Blood Test): $8.58
- T-Spot (Blood Test): $44.42
- Syphilis: $3.10
- Varicella Titer (Blood Test): $4.20
- Reference Lab Fee (lab handling fee):$12
The following laboratory services are covered by your Student Health Fee:
- Basic Metabolic Panel
- Complete Blood Count (CBC)
- Pregnancy Test
- Rapid Strep
Long-Acting Reversible Contraceptive Devices
If enrolled in the Aetna Student Health Plan, cost will be ledger billed, if not enrolled in the Aetna Student Health Plan, students must pay the full cost out of pocket.
- Kyleena: $902.02
- Mirena: $902.02
- Nexplanon: $1,028.30
- Paraguard: $822.65
- Skyla: $803.48
- Ankle Support – Aircast: $28.46
- Arm Sling: $2.84, only applies to Large and extra large sizes
- Boot – Aircast: $62.05 and under, applies to all sizes
- Crutches: $11.36
- Knee Immobilizer 22″: $25.70
- Fiberglass Long Leg Splint: $57.09
- Colles Padded Metal Splint: $4.60, applies to all sizes
- Comfort Form Wrist/Thumb: $16.91
- CTS Wrist Support: $6.40
- Azithromycin (500mg pk) $13.21, Part of Antibiotic Drug Family.
- Benadryl (injectable) $15, Part of Antihistamine Drug Family.
- Depro Provera $59.54, Part of Contraception Drug Family.
- Ketorolac (injectable) $12, Part of Pain Relief Drug Family.
- Ella $50.34, Part of Emergency Contraception Drug Family.
- Rocephin (injectable) $25, Part of Antibiotic Drug Family.
- Digital X-rays: covered by Student Health Fee
- CD Copies: $10
- Retrieval from Storage: $25
Additional Care Services
- Musculoskeletal Clinic (chiropractic): $20 co-pay per visit.
- Physical Therapy: $15 co-pay. Services billable to insurance. Requires USC Student Health doctor referral.